Monday, March 1, 2010

Spotlight on Feldenkrais

Moshe Feldenkrais (1904-1984) was an engineer who applied scientific analysis to movement principles to heal an old knee injury. He called his system Awareness Through Movement® and began teaching it in the 1940's. From the the Feldenkrais website: "...lessons consist of comfortable, easy movements that gradually evolve into movements of greater range and complexity. There are hundreds of Awareness Through Movement lessons contained in the Feldenkrais Method that vary, for all levels of movement ability, from simple in structure and physical demand to more difficult lessons. Awareness Through Movement lessons attempt to make one aware of his/her habitual neuromuscular patterns and rigidities and to expand options for new ways of moving while increasing sensitivity and improving efficiency."

One of our students said, "I went to Feldenkrais classes 4 times before I noticed anything. Then one day, following a class, I felt what other students have described - I felt better all day - gently freed up, able to move more simply through my day, having a sort of timeless ease. I love Feldenkrais because of its intention to help release patterns of movement and holding that are inhibiting energy flow. One is aided in letting go of habits. I sometimes find myself, after class, in a sort of free-wheeling happy befuddlement as my system recalibrates to allow for better functioning. I often feel larger afterward, less bound. I really have just put my toe in the water - there is a lot to Feldenkrais. I enjoy Jeannie as a teacher because she has a lovely vocal delivery- important as the teacher talks you through the movements - and is naturally funny. She has a sort of curiosity that makes me feel free to play."

Awareness Through Movement® classes are taught by Jeanne Simpson, a certified teacher. They meet on Wednesdays 10:30-11:30 am at Holiday Manor. Classes are $12 (or 5 for $50). Please register with Jeanne and pay by cash or check. Phone her at 502-541-1724 if you have questions or need more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment