Sunday, April 29, 2012

Practice for the Week of April 30-May 13: Dharana: the First Step to Meditation

In the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, one of the first texts about yoga written about 2500 years ago, dharana is defined as "a flow of awareness toward an object".  The "object" can be a real, physical object, or it can be something that has no physical existence, such as a mantra or a chakra. 
About twenty years ago I was in my meditation room practicing a form of concentration called Tratak, and I had a profound first experience of the feeling of meditation. I was focusing on a crystal pendant, allowing my gaze to rest on the pendant. After a few moments I was aware of being in a state of unusual clarity, still hearing everyday sounds like the voices of people downstairs and the sounds from outside, but my attention was completely absorbed in the crystal. I experienced a state of extraordinary clarity, stillness and easefulness.  After about 30 minutes, my awareness gradually returned to "normal", but its effects have remained with me for over twenty years. 
      
The practice for this week is Tratak.
Gaze steadily at an object. You will notice that the eyes tend to move around. This is a natural movement of the eyes. Keep bringing the gaze back to the object. Allow the eyes to rest on the object or image with minimal  movement. Notice how the mind becomes still as the gaze becomes still.
Traditional objects for Tratak: unwavering candle flame, crystal, clouds, flower, sand patterns.
Om Shanti!

No comments:

Post a Comment